Friday, November 22, 2013

Pesky Debt

I am undoubtedly part of the student loan generation. I knew going into school that I would be racking up a pretty penny in student loans. Ultimately my goal was to stay under $120,000 in debt by the time I graduate in May. I'm happy to say I managed to stay $3,418 under. It's not a lot, but it's a couple months payment meaning I'll hopefully finishing paying off loans that much sooner. 

I'm a planner, this summer consisted of me making spreadsheets and trying to plan how I was going to survive after graduation and make my goal of paying it all off in four to five year. Frankly it's going to be tough, it undoubtedly means roommates, minimal insurance, and no vacations for a while. Although that list doesn't seem very harsh, in reality it is, rent, insurance, food and other necessities alone will eat up a good portion of my pay checks. I'd like to ideally put at least 10% into savings and some amount into my retirement plan. It all adds up, and a lot faster than you could ever prepare yourself for. 

Economically speaking moving back to Tulsa, OK and living with my parents would be the smartest move. I would be able to pay my loans off entirely in about 4.33 years. In Colorado on the other hand it will take about 8.41. I know, it's really no contest, move back home, what is 4.33 years, in reality I would save about that long in repayment time, not to mention the $8,000 I would save. But it's hard, moving back in with your parents once you've moved out. It's hard moving to a place where you don't know anyone in general, but when you have the comforts of family there isn't that loneliness that forces you to want to find people to befriend. 

Frankly, I haven't a clue what I'm going to do. I'd prefer to continue the path I'm still on, my relationship with Chris, and move to Colorado, but who knows if that will happen, is that 4 years and $8,000 worth moving back home? I'm sure I will figure it all out in the next 176 days. 

Until then, I've found a fantastic website for anyone who has student loans. It's called tuition.io It's fantastic, it counts all of your student loans and compiles them into an easy to use system. I would suggest every college student enroll, it makes organization a breeze, and even has reminders for your payments! Check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment